English 10: Writing Portfolio
Catholic Memorial High School
|Whether inside or out, nothing is
more exciting than that final shotto determine the win. In the
English language the devolopment of the word "basketball" reveals some other greater
trends in the English language. If someone were to think how this word came across, you would need
to know two other words. One of the words would have to be basket while the other would have to be
ball. Therefore, without the sport of basketball many cities wouldn't have that rush to gte
home in the excitement of all of what basketball can do.
After doing some interviews on the word "basketball", it told me how most average people
feel about the sport. Those who weren't familiar with the game had said it to be just a game
with a ball and two hoops. Out of the five interviews, three people had believed that statement
about the word to be true, which says about 60% of them. The other two (40%) who were familiar with
the word had said famous players and what the sport was all about. At first, basketball players
dribbled a soccer ball up and down a court. Points were earned by putting a ball in a peach basket.
These rules were then changed in 1893, when a Hammock-style basket got introduced.
The Oxford English Dictionary has many different uses to words. From this, the word
"basketball" was defined. It is a game played indoors or out doors with a large inflated
ball, which is thrown from player to player, the object being to score by casting it into one's
opponent's goal. Also a basket fixed ten feet above the ground at each end of the field of
play. In January of 1892, James Naismith "found" the heading Basket Ball-"We present
to our readers a new game of ball". Then in 1898 another form of the word came to be. Los
Angeles Times, Berkeley-"he stooped a basketballer's height, his enormous frame draped in
a dust-colored suit and folded awkwardly behind the table".
The word "basketball" has had few authors who really started it all. James Naismith in
1892 presents to readers a new kind of game. Also J. Lethem, fortress of Solitude I. The
Encyclopedia British New Supplement of 1926 stated "basketball" has become the national
indoor game of the United States. From 1898, the Daily News stated that Vassar, Syracuse, Cornell,
Wellesley, and Rosemary Hall have each of their teams of girl's basket-ball players. With that
said, girls basketball becamke a game played by ten over-heated and disheveled ladies.
Since the year 2000, the word "basketball" has had many various usages from around the
world. There are different sources that have different ways of saying the word
"basketball", but they all come out to meaning the same. I did some research in "the
London Times.com" and I found some interesting ways on how they use the word, although they are
almost identical. From that site, its main article discussion is talking about london born player,
Luol Deng, in the National Basketball Association (NBA) AND HOW HE IS TURNING DOWN A $50 million dollar contract with his team the Chicago Bulls. With that said, if you were to search the word
"basketball" in the United States, it would most likely be talking about Luol Deng or
gambling within the basketball referee's, which was also mentioned in the London Times.
The word "basketball" as we all know is used as a noun. In 1998, an author by the name
Berkeley had a sentence with the word "basketballer's" which also is used as a noun
but in a different way than today. In 2003, J. Lethem had a sentence-"He stooped from a
basketballer's height". The word "basketballers" is still being used as a noun
but referring to it as tghe player of the game. Although finding more research was scarce, I found
out that foreign language speakers have little trouble coping with the word "basketball".
I work at a restaurant and I had asked them in the back making the food if they understood
basketball. They looked at me if somethign was wrong with me.
The word "basketball" means a lot to me and that's why I particularly chose this
word. It is my favorite sport and brings back many memories of my youth. Suvh memories include game
s in the back with my dad and brother. Also how various teams I play on are good opportunity to meet
new people. To me without basketball, things just wouldn't be the same.
Dear Master Anonymous,
No wonder why volleyball is so popular
throughout the world today. The game has been played since